For most of us, the first thing that comes to mind when we think of supporting our immune system is Vitamin C. And for good reason, as Vitamin C has several health benefits with one of the most important being improved immune functionality.
However, Vitamin C alone is not the end all be all of supporting your immune system. As we embark on a new year, it may be more important now than ever to figure out how to best take care of those cells, antibodies, and other defense systems that keep us safe and healthy throughout the year.
To help you out, we have compiled a list of 6 tips to help you improve your immunity.
- Focus on Your Diet. Your diet plays a huge role in determining your immune strength, so focusing on eating a healthy, well-balanced diet will do wonders for your immune system. Start by cutting out processed foods. They often rob you of access to the nutrients that promote the formation of immune mediators like white blood cells and antibodies.
Also actively seek out and incorporate foods into your diet that improve immunity. These types of foods usually contain compounds known to improve immune function in one way or another. A great example of this is beta-glucan which can be found in mushrooms, seaweed, and whole grains like oats and barley. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables as well will ensure your body has access to the vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants it needs to keep your immune system strong.
- Reduce Your Stress Levels. Stress has been shown to be associated with reduced immune functionality. One of the best theories to support this is based on stress hormones like cortisol that are produced in response to physical and psychological stress. These hormones have an immunosuppressive effect which can leave your immune system vulnerable.
Therefore, one of the best ways you can support your immune system is to actively manage your stress levels. You can do this by practicing yoga or meditation, setting aside time to open up to family, friends, or a trusted professional, not taking on more than you can handle, and making rest time and sleep a priority.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight. Another secret to an improved immune system is achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. Both being overweight and underweight are associated with reduced immunity. Being underweight can often keep your immune system from getting the nutrients it requires to function. On the other hand, being overweight can inhibit the body’s natural healing response.
- Prioritize Hygiene. Sometimes the best way we can take care of our immune system is by making sure we aren’t overworking it. To some extent, a little exposure is good as it prepares your immune system for bigger and more serious pathogens. However, poor hygiene practices can cause overexposure and may exhaust an already struggling system, leaving you worse than you were before. So make sure you are making personal hygiene a priority. This includes the basics like regularly bathing and brushing your teeth as well as practicing hygienic food handling.
However, also understand that there is a fine line between supporting and hurting your immune system when it comes to hygiene. Cleaning too often with harsh products may strip you of protective bacteria colonies which can lead to compromising your immune system.
- Turn to Probiotics. Probiotics are good bacteria that live in your gut and are best known for the many ways they support the digestive system. However, it is less commonly known that probiotics are also great for immune support, both within the gut itself and for the immune system as a whole. The local gut support is the most important, as probiotics can help keep potentially harmful bacteria at bay by competing for the same resources.
Probiotics can be found in different foods including fermented options like yogurt, cheese, kimchi, and many others. You could also conveniently add them to your diet with a probiotic supplement.
- Diversify Your Supplements. As mentioned earlier, Vitamin C is the most commonly used supplement for immune support. But, if you truly want to give your immune system a fighting chance, you need to diversify with other supplements that include active, immune-supporting ingredients. Look for supplements with natural ingredients like mushrooms that contain high levels of beta-glucan for the best results.
Meet the Ultimate Immunity Support Duo: Defend and Spectrabiotic
Supplements by far are the most convenient way to support your immune function throughout the year. That’s why we created the ultimate immunity support duo with Defend and Spectrabitoic. When combined, these two supplements contain a powerful blend of 6 mushrooms rich in beta-glucan, 12 strains of probiotics, and organic Wild Microalgae to provide your body the quality nutrients it needs to support your immune system.
Add these immune-supporting supplements to your routine today! And the best part is you can try them risk-free with our 90-day money-back guarantee.
At New Earth we are on a mission to positively impact the health of every body and soul we come in contact with. We specialize in producing third-party certified, organic whole food supplements including a variety of probiotics, and digestive support. Our supplements feature a rare, yet highly, nutritious superfood, Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (AFA). Also known as organic Wild Microalgae®, AFA is a unique type of blue-green algae that is available in many forms including algae tablets, algae pills, and algae powders all designed to help you on your journey to holistic wellness. The best part? We offer a 90-day money-back risk-free guarantee on all of our products. Visit our website to learn more.