No matter how old you are, there is nothing better on a hot summer afternoon than an ice-cold popsicle. It really is the best way to cool down.
But let’s face it. Most commercially prepared popsicles are not conducive to a healthy lifestyle. These summer treats tend to have all sorts of unnecessary additives like artificial sweeteners and chemical preservatives.
If popsicles are your go-to summer treat, then we have good news. You can still enjoy these delicious cold treats guilt-free. You just have to make your own. Don’t worry, it’s a lot easier than it sounds. Just follow these three steps.
Step 1: Prepare Your Ingredients
Making healthy and delicious popsicles at home starts with picking the right ingredients. This will help ensure your popsicles are packed with nutrients and that they end up with the perfect texture and consistency.
Getting the ratio just right will take some trial and error, but a good rule of thumb is to add 1 cup of liquid for every 4 cups of solids. Solid ingredients can include fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
Step 2: Blend
This process is pretty straightforward. However, in order to get the mixture as smooth as possible, make sure you are using a powerful blender. If it seems like your blender is struggling, just add a little extra liquid. In this case, something creamy like almond milk or yogurt would be ideal. Not only will it help make the ingredients easier to blend, but it will also result in a creamier popsicle.
Step 3: Mold and Freeze
The shape of your popsicles is almost as satisfying as the texture and flavor. That’s where a popsicles mold comes in. Silicone quick-freeze molds are the best option here, as they cut the freezing time down and make the popsicles easier to retrieve later.
But if you don’t have a popsicle mold (and don’t want to buy one), don’t worry. You can get popsicle sticks and use ice trays or plastic cups as molds instead.
Once you’ve picked out a mold, just pour your mixture into it and pop it in the freezer for 4 to 8 hours. Of course, if you are using a quick-freeze mold, you can expect your popsicles to be ready a lot sooner.
Tips For Making a Healthier Popsicle
Now that you understand the basics, here are a few tips to help you make sure you are making the healthiest popsicles possible.
- Use all-natural ingredients. The whole point of making your own popsicles is to have a healthier alternative to the chemical-filled ones you can buy at the store. Of course, the best way to accomplish this is to use all-natural ingredients. You can use leftover fruits and vegetables you already have in your fridge or head to the grocery store to buy some fresh ones.
- Use ripe fruit. If you want your popsicles to be loaded with flavor, then using ripe fruit is the way to go. After all, fruit has the most flavor when it’s ripe. Plus, ripe fruits are packed with natural sugars, which means you won’t need to add any additional sweeteners.
- Ensure nutritional balance. The best homemade popsicles are nutritionally balanced. Ideally, you will be able to include protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and fiber in your popsicle recipe. In addition to whatever fruits and vegetables you choose, consider adding ingredients like nuts for healthy fats or even protein powder for a little extra protein.
- Don’t forget superfoods. If you want to take your homemade popsicle game to the next level, consider adding a superfood to your ingredient list. You could go with the usual options like acai berries, hemp, or kale, but there is an even better option out there – organic Wild Microalgae®. This rare form of blue-green algae is rich in macronutrients, micronutrients, antioxidants, and even mood-boosting compounds like phenylethylamine (PEA).
New Earth Berry Blast Popsicles
If you aren’t ready to start creating your own recipes just yet, we’ve got you covered. Here is a quick, healthy recipe you can try.
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Cup Sliced Strawberries
- ½ Cup Raspberries
- ½ Cup Blueberries
- 1-2 Tablespoons Raw Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Essentials Blend
Meet Essentials Blend: The Perfect Popsicle Ingredient
Essentials Blend from New Earth is the perfect addition to any homemade popsicle recipe. This blend of probiotics, enzymes, and organic Wild Microalgae is sure to give any homemade popsicle a nutritional boost. It even comes in a powder form, which makes it easy to add directly into your blender.
And the best part? You can put it to the test risk-free with our 90-day money-back guarantee.
At New Earth we are on a mission to positively impact the health of every body and soul we come in contact with. We specialize in producing third-party certified, organic whole food supplements including a variety of probiotics, and digestive support. Our supplements feature a rare, yet highly, nutritious superfood, Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (AFA). Also known as organic Wild Microalgae®, AFA is a unique type of blue-green algae that is available in many forms including algae tablets, algae pills, and algae powders all designed to help you on your journey to holistic wellness. The best part? We offer a 90-day money-back risk-free guarantee on all of our products. Visit our website to learn more.