It’s the first month of the new year! Now that the celebrations are over, many of us have spent a lot of time thinking about what goals we want to accomplish in the coming year. Maybe this is the year you plan to finally eat a well-balanced diet. Or maybe you are looking to lose a few extra pounds over the next 12 months.
We bet that sounds familiar. After all, health and fitness related resolutions are extremely common. And often they are the hardest to stick to. In fact, many of us will cancel that new gym membership or revert to unhealthy eating habits by the third month of the year, if not sooner.
But don’t let that discourage you. There are some simple yet effective ways to stick to those goals. Let’s take a look at a few.
7 Tips for Sticking To Your Health Goals
- Acknowledge Your Intentions: Take some time to reflect on your reasons for setting each of your goals. Are you tired of feeling sluggish and looking to add some exercise to your routine to help keep your energy up? Do you feel pressure to set health-related goals because that’s what the people around you are doing? Are you looking to make healthy diet changes to help manage or prevent a health condition?
Whatever your motivations are, it is important to acknowledge them and maybe even write them down next to your actual New Year’s resolution list. This helps to remind you why you are making these changes which ultimately helps create a more personal connection to your goals.
- Do Your Research. One of the main reasons health resolutions tend to fail is that most people don’t know exactly what they are getting themselves into. Take the time to understand what to expect while striving for these goals to avoid the pitfall of being taken by surprise.
This will not only help you prepare to work toward your goals but also allows you to create more specific and actionable plans to follow along the way. Additionally, it can also help put things in perspective by giving you an idea of some of the challenges that lie ahead. That way, you won’t be caught off guard or get discouraged when things get challenging.
- Make It a Lifestyle Change. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking of your New Year’s resolutions as a short-term means to the desired end. Instead, start thinking of them more as long-term lifestyle changes. Making plans that you can actually follow through on for a long period of time will allow you to find a program that works for you, get properly invested, and adjust your life appropriately.
- Start small. Don’t try to take on too much too fast. Remember that the goal is to make a lifestyle change, so you have the luxury of taking your time and getting comfortable with a new way of doing things.
Starting small as opposed to quitting old habits cold turkey and diving headfirst into new ones also gives your body and mind time to adjust. That way, you are less likely to crave your old ways and more likely to stick to the new ones.
- Factor In Your Schedule. Time. It’s one thing many of us feel like we don’t have enough of, and honestly, it can be one of the biggest enemies of progress when it comes to health resolutions. Even if you have the best intentions and plans, they are useless if you find that your schedule doesn’t support the new changes.
Therefore, it is important to plan your new lifestyle changes around your schedule. If you’re wanting to exercise more, find ways to sneak your workouts into your workday if taking time off for the gym is not possible. Or if you are wanting to eat a more well-balanced diet, consider things like meal prepping on the weekend. This will allow you to have healthy meal options even on days when you don’t have enough time to cook and would normally fall back into the habit of ordering takeout.
- Be Your Own Cheerleader. More often than not, we all tend to be our own worst critics. When we don’t perform as expected, we can be too hard on ourselves. To help yourself reach your health goals this year, ignore that critical voice in your head, grab a pair of pom-poms, and cheer yourself on.
After all, health resolutions are often deeply personal, and you truly are the only person who can keep yourself motivated. One great way to do this is to break the year down into checkpoints where you monitor your progress and reward yourself for your achievements.
In addition to this, be sure to also give yourself room for mistakes. You will not always get it right on the first try, but that doesn’t mean you need to give up completely. Remember, you can always reset and restart your New Year’s resolutions at any point in the year.
- Find a Support Group. Mental well-being plays a huge role when it comes to consistency and success. If you find you struggle with staying positive and motivated to reach your goals, finding a support group full of people on the same journey can be extremely beneficial.
These spaces are great for sharing ideas, keeping each other accountable, and sharing relatable parts of the experience. Knowing you are not going through the changes alone can make a world of a difference.
Join A Supportive Community With The 30 Day Gut Reboot
At New Earth, we are dedicated to helping you achieve a sustainable, healthy lifestyle, which is why we started the 30 Day Gut Reboot program. This program will help equip you with all the skills you need to take care of your gut and the rest of your body by extension. It will also offer you access to a supportive community that will help keep you encouraged and accountable no matter what your health resolutions may be.
So what are you waiting for? Our next 30 Day Gut Reboot starts on January 25th. Join today.
At New Earth we are on a mission to positively impact the health of every body and soul we come in contact with. We specialize in producing third-party certified, organic whole food supplements including a variety of probiotics, and digestive support. Our supplements feature a rare, yet highly, nutritious superfood, Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (AFA). Also known as organic Wild Microalgae®, AFA is a unique type of blue-green algae that is available in many forms including algae tablets, algae pills, and algae powders all designed to help you on your journey to holistic wellness. The best part? We offer a 90-day money-back risk-free guarantee on all of our products. Visit our website to learn more.