Did you know? The term superfood was coined in the late 20th century to refer to bananas. However, it was not until the 21st century that it became the diet and lifestyle sensation that it is today.
These days, it seems every other food has a claim to superfood status from kale to seeds. However, not every food with the label actually deserves it. So, what does it take to be a real superfood and what is by far the most superior one among them? Let’s dive in!
What makes a food a superfood?
Superfoods have regained popularity over the last several years as a part of numerous weight loss fads. However, there is so much more to them than just helping you shed a few extra pounds before summer. So what exactly makes a food a superfood?
- A wide nutrient profile: One important trait is a wide nutrient profile. While this is not the case with all superfoods it is definitely present in the most popular ones. Ideally, it should have both micro and macro nutrients.
- Diet-friendly: Another feature of superfoods is that they should be able to cut across all dietary lifestyles. This means that everyone from vegans to those on keto diets should be able to benefit.
- Unique nutrient components: Another defining characteristic of some superfoods is the presence of unique nutrients.
- Tiny package; massive benefits: The superfoods you know and love come in small but mighty packages filled with a variety of nutrients. For example, seeds and nuts, though small, offer a multitude of nutritional benefits. They, of course, cannot be substituted for normal caloric diets because of their low energy levels. However, they make for great snack options.
- The effect on overall health and quality of life: Finally, a superfood can be identified based on its general ability to improve overall health and quality of life. It could be by supplying useful nutrients or supporting other mechanisms. Whatever the case, most of these superfoods have been shown to have great health benefits and therefore have earned their titles.
The superfood of the decade: AFA.,
Now you know what makes a food worthy of the term superfood. And, in your mind, have probably already have identified a few fakers that have been recommended.
There are everyday superfoods, and then there are prestigious superfoods, superfoods that awe you with their nutritional punch, superfoods that give you the most bang for your buck. And, that’s what we have found here at New Earth, a superfood that continues to impress us day in and day out, Aphanizomenon flos aquae (AFA). This blue-green algae also known as organic Wild Microalgae® and is one of the rarest and most beneficial forms of organic microalgae on the market today.
The fresh-water algae from Klamath Lake in Oregon may be an ancient food, but it is one of the newest players in the microalgae superfood world and has a whole lot to offer.
What makes the ingredient powerful?
Quite a lot of research has been done on AFA and here are the key identified benefits of the powerful ingredient.
- It is rich in both macro and micro nutrients containing the major nutrients which are proteins, carbohydrates and fats. In addition, it is rich in a wide variety of minerals and vitamins. The most important of these is vitamin B12 making it very useful as a supplement in vegan diets that are notoriously lacking in this important nutrient.
- It is rich in antioxidants that quench free radicals thus helping protect your ever important cells.
- It helps with mood and cognitive function. AFA contains a compound known as phenylethylamine (PEA). This acts on the brain in a similar way to neurotransmitters like adrenaline to improve mood, alertness and overall function.
What you can expect when you consume such a powerful superfood?
Clearly AFA has a lot to offer especially when it comes to nutritional complementation. However, it is important to note that the effects aren’t typically immediate. It will take daily consumption for the results to add up and manifest over time. This is about a healthy lifestyle and feeding your body the nutrients it craves so you can be your best day in and out. So get your AFA supplements today and start on your journey to a stronger and healthier you.
Check out our superfood supplement: Body
At New Earth, we aim to help you on your journey to healthy sustainable living by providing botanical supplements. Body, its our pure AFA supplement in the convenient form of easy-to-take capsules, tablets, or powder. Visit our website to learn more about Body and other supplements you could benefit from.