Fiber, it’s typically recommended to help get and keep things moving in the digestive tract. But, there is one type of fiber that stands out from the rest. It’s loaded with a variety of health benefits and can be found in foods like oats, mushrooms, and barley. That’s right, we are talking about beta glucan.
So, what exactly is beta glucan, and what makes it so special?
Beta glucan by definition is a type of non-starch polysaccharide. Before you start wondering what we are talking about, polysaccharide is just a fancy, scientific way of referring to a type of sugar. The beta glucan sugars in particular occur naturally in the cell wall of whole-grain cereals, on fungi, and even in bacteria.
Before exploring the many benefits of consuming beta glucan, let’s dive into how it works.
Its main mode of action is directly related to its structure. On a molecular level, beta glucan is a soluble fiber that flows through the gut without getting digested. As a fiber, it also regulates motility in the gut allowing for adequate nutrient absorption without spikes and subsequent crashes in blood nutrient levels.
Let’s take a closer look at the more specific benefits of beta glucan.
Benefits of Beta Glucan
- Supports immunity. Studies have shown that beta glucan supports immunity in a number of ways including activating the complementary system and supporting the function of immune cells. In other words, they help strengthen the body’s natural defenses.
- Helps regulate blood glucose levels. Beta glucan slows the transit time of food in the gut which prevents rapid absorption of nutrients including glucose. In turn, allowing for a steady supply of energy from a healthy meal.
- Supports gut health. Beta glucan has inherent prebiotic properties. We mentioned earlier that it is not digested and absorbed in the typical sense. However, it undergoes fermentation especially in the colon as a result of consumption by probiotic colonies. As a result, it indirectly promotes gut health through the action of friendly bacteria. It also serves directly as fiber by promoting the motility of food along the gut.
Best Sources of Beta Glucan
Clearly, there is a lot to look forward to from beta glucan. If you want to incorporate this compound into your diet for maximum perks, here are some of the best sources.
- Mushrooms. Mushrooms have been used medicinally for centuries and still are to this day. Beta glucan is one of the compounds responsible for these health benefits. It can be found in a variety of mushrooms including reishi, shiitake, and maitake varieties.
- Whole grain cereals. Beta glucan forms an integral part of the cell wall structure of grains and cereals like oats and barley. However, in order to get this compound, the cereals need to be in their whole-grain form. Processing only reduces or completely eliminates all the good stuff including these polysaccharides.
- Supplements. Supplements are another great source for concentrated levels of beta glucan. However, the source is very important here, as not all sources of beta glucan are equal.
That’s where Defend by New Earth comes in. Defend is a proprietary organic blend of the most extensively researched and revered mushrooms working synergistically with powerful botanicals to modulate and enhance your immune system. With a quick look at the label, you will see ingredients like reishi mushroom, cordyceps, maitake mushroom, shiitake mushroom, turkey tail mushroom, Agaricus blazei, organic Wild Microalgae®, and of course, beta glucan. But, not just any beta glucan.
The unique beta glucan found in Defend is a yeast beta glucan extracted from the cell wall of an exceptional strain of bakers yeast. In fact, this proprietary beta glucan is the only ingredient supported by over a dozen published, peer-reviewed clinical studies. Research validates this beta glucan’s unique ability to help strengthen general immune health across all ages.*
Not to mention, it’s Kosher, Halal, gluten-free, non-allergenic, non-GMO, and organic compliant. Simply put, it’s the ‘Cadillac’ of beta glucan.
Try Defend Risk-Free
Possibly the best part, you can reap the benefits of beta glucan, superfood algae, and medicinal mushrooms risk-free with a 90-day empty bottle guarantee. Try Defend today!
At New Earth we are on a mission to positively impact the health of every body and soul we come in contact with. We specialize in producing third-party certified, organic whole food supplements including a variety of probiotics, and digestive support. Our supplements feature a rare, yet highly, nutritious superfood, Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (AFA). Also known as organic Wild Microalgae®, AFA is a unique type of blue-green algae that is available in many forms including algae tablets, algae pills, and algae powders all designed to help you on your journey to holistic wellness. The best part? We offer a 90-day money-back risk-free guarantee on all of our products. Visit our website to learn more.
*Miami Research Associates USC School of Pharmacy Feldman S, Schwartz HI, Kalman DS, Mayers A, Kohrman HM, Clemens R, Krieger DR. (2009)